Thursday, July 10, 2008

Homemade Crepes

Sorry about the picture. They really looked MUCH better!

Until yesterday, I had never tasted a crepe before. After watching Alton Brown make them on Good Eats the other night, I decided to try making them. So yesterday morning, I got up and made breakfast!

I used Cat Cora's recipe:

Basic Crepes
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup of milk
3 tablespoons of melted butter for brushing the pan

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, egg, and milk until it is smooth. (Make sure that you get ALL of the flour lumps out!)

Place a 6-inch crepe pan over medium-high heat. Brush the pan LIGHTLY with the melted butter.
Pour in less than 1/4 cup on batter (just enough to cover the pan.)
After the crepe begins to turn golden brown, flip over, and cook for 30 seconds.


Ok. I don't have a crepe pan. Or a 6 inch pan of any kind. So I used a non stick skillet that was entirely too big. The crepes weren't in perfect circles because of this, but they tasted fine.

Your batter will be VERY thin. DO NOT add flour to thicken it. Cat Cora says it will make them rubbery.

You can keep your crepes warm by stacking them in the oven at 250 degrees. Both Alton and Cora said not to do this for longer than 30 minutes. You can stack them with wax paper separating each crepe, wrap the stack in plastic wrap, and refrigerate them for a week. You can also freeze them this way.

I filled them with strawberries, and whipped up heavy whipping (with sugar added in) cream. And I dusted the tops with powdered sugar.

If you have any other suggestions for filling them, or if you make them yourself, let me know!

They tasted REALLY good. I'm sure that I'll be making them again!



2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

YUMMY! I am going to have to try this recipe! ")

Karin said...

Nomnom! I love crepes! :)